Summer is a season for enjoying the sun, vacations, and catching up on lots of rest and relaxation. But it’s also important to remain mindful of any plumbing issues that may arise. Increased water usage, warmer temperatures, and more visitors during this season can all contribute to the likelihood of plumbing problems occurring. So, without further ado, join your experts at Mason Plumbing & Drain as we explore the most frequent plumbing problems that can arise during the summer.
WHAT ARE THE COMMON OUTDOOR SUMMER PLUMBING PROBLEMS?
1. OUTDOOR FAUCETS, SPRINKLERS, & WATER-HOSE PROBLEMS – To start, let’s discuss typical issues with outdoor plumbing. As we all know, summer is the perfect time to spend time outside. However, outdoor plumbing fixtures like faucets, sprinklers, and hoses can often cause problems during this season, particularly if they’ve been in use for some time. During summer, with increased water usage and hot temperatures, unresolved small issues can turn into more significant problems, such as underground pipes bursting or flooding occurring in your yard or basement.
As a result, it’s important to regularly check your hoses, sprinklers, fixtures, and faucets for any damage or leaks to avoid big disasters. If you find any issues, make sure to replace or fix them as soon as possible. Ignoring small problems can lead to bigger, more chaotic plumbing issues in the future. For larger issues, it’s best to call a licensed professional.
2. SEWER LINE BACKUPS – Now, let’s talk about sewage. During summer, sewer lines tend to get blocked easily due to increased usage and other factors. Dealing with this situation is never ideal. Look out for signs like foul smells, gurgling noises, clogged drains or toilets, and backup to know if there are issues with your sewage line. If you think your sewage line is having problems or you have already noticed some issues, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’ll take care of all the necessary tasks to get everything working properly again so you don’t have to deal with any of the unpleasant work yourself.
WHAT ARE THE COMMON INDOOR SUMMER PLUMBING PROBLEMS?
1. LEAKING FAUCET PROBLEMS – Dealing with leaky faucets can be frustrating. Unfortunately, many leaks go unfixed for way too long. This not only wastes water and increases water consumption but also leads to bigger problems in the future. Therefore, it’s best to address the issue immediately. Tightening the fixture or replacing the washer can often fix the leak. However, if you come across any issues, feel free to contact us if you face any problems.
2. CLOGGED TOILET PROBLEMS – In the summertime, higher temperatures and humidity can result in rusting, corrosion, and mineral buildup on drain lines. This may cause clogs and is more likely to happen in older plumbing systems. Clogged toilets stemming from these issues can be challenging to address, so please seek professional assistance if you experience this problem. It’s crucial to act quickly, as severe clogs could increase pressure and lead to broken pipes.
The presence of school-aged children at home during summer can lead to an increase in daytime water usage. It is also recommended that you be proactive by inspecting your toilets for leaks or cracks. Ignoring small problems could result in more costly repairs later on.
3. LOW-WATER PRESSURE PROBLEMS – During this season, low water pressure is a frequently occurring issue caused by regional water level changes or mineral buildup in pipes. Calling a professional plumber when experiencing low water pressure is recommended.
4. WASHING MACHINE PROBLEMS – Don’t forget to check your washing machine this summer. It can encounter issues such as clogged pipes or hoses, corrosion, and broken seals, which may cause system problems and damage over time. To avoid this, add your washing machine to your regular inspection routine and keep an eye out for any leaks, corrosion, or damage.
5. DISHWASHER AND GARBAGE DISPOSAL PROBLEMS – During summer, there may be more people gathering at your home. It is important only to put foods that are safe for the drain in your garbage disposal. Even though things can be busy, resist the temptation to dump anything down the kitchen sink. Dealing with a clogged garbage disposal and sink can be a hassle that is best avoided. To avoid clogging up your disposal and dishwasher, make sure never to pour grease and starchy foods down the drain. Additionally, avoid overloading your dishwasher, as this can lead to particles getting stuck in the system. By disposing of food properly and not overloading your dishwasher, you can help ensure everything runs smoothly throughout the summer.
6. WATER HEATER PROBLEMS – If you are experiencing issues with lukewarm or no hot water, your water heater may be the culprit. On top of that, summer temperatures can sometimes strain the water heater, leading to cracks or damage. One other factor could be possible that sediment buildup is causing the issue with your water heater. If this is the case, your water heater may have to be flushed. If you would like us to help diagnose the problem and restore your hot water, feel free to contact us.
Our mission at Mason Plumbing & Drain is to deliver excellent customer service of the highest quality consistently. We are dedicated to going above and beyond to ensure our clients receive exceptional service and outstanding workmanship.
We’d be happy to relieve you of any plumbing-related stress this summer by addressing all of your plumbing needs and issues with our expertise. Call Mason Plumbing & Drain today at (513) 298-6996, or schedule an appointment online now by clicking here!